Thursday, June 25, 2015

Through Anxiety and Depression

ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION...


Things I discovered and learned...

These emotions and feelings have been a constant in my life. They're not as prevalent as they once were, however. (I discussed that period of time in my first blog post) God has done an incredible work in my life when it comes to the way I'm able to deal with the tests and trials of life!

Christian or not, lots of stress in life or little, people will encounter times of anxiety and depression. While it is very common to have bouts of depression or anxiety at least once in a person's life, there is a mark of disgrace or shame when it comes to admitting to experiencing it, especially in Christian circles. 

When a person dealing with anxiety and depression is brave enough to seek Godly counsel they are often met with well meaning statements like, "Don't focus so much on your anxiety, give thanks and count your blessings, keep praying and I'll pray for you too". Following it up by handing you helpful little Bible verses to reinforce their statements like, Philippians 4:6, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." And, " Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts." from Psalms 139:23 or something like, 1Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." When this happens fellow believers are left feeling rejected, like God  isn't working in your life because you don't have enough faith, you're not praying hard enough, or somehow you're not good enough which only leads to a deeper depressed state of mind. 

Then there are those in the world who want depression and anxiety accepted as this mental illness that needs to be medicated and kept under control. Or even worse accepted as part of there identity or something to own. " it's my depression, it's who I am, a person with depression and anxiety." Don't get me wrong, there are people who have a chemical imbalance and God has given man the ability to create medicine to correct it. 

All emotion is created by a chemicals in your brain. Oftentimes when a person experience difficult situations  like a death of a loved one or loss of a job that may bring on depression or anxious feelings about life in general. After some time that depression can go away using typical coping skills. However, when a person is in a constant state of depression and or anxiety and unable to over come it on their own, when it is caused by something like mental and physical abuse, or even an environment that caused great mental stress like financial hardship for long periods of time, or a dead end/unsatisfying job, that constant exposure that causes depression and anxiety and causes the brain to create the chemical that brings on those feelings and emotions. 

Over long periods of time the brain gets used to creating this chemical and it becomes difficult to balance it out. That's when counseling to develop better coping skills, sometimes accompanied by medication can be helpful while learning and putting those  new coping skills in practice. Medications shouldn't be used for life or as a crutch. Who wants to continually be dependent on medication to control your emotions?

So to tie together the first two things I learned about depression and anxiety: 1, maybe my faith wasn't strong enough, maybe I needed more prayers; better prayers. 2, I needed lots of mental help and counseling as well as medication to keep me safe, maybe even for life! None of those options or explainations about the deep depression and anxiety I experienced sound too promising. Especially, if I turn to what the Lord has told me. (Not just throwing out Bible verses here) "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."(Jeremiah 29:11) "There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off." ( Psalm 23:18) And, one of my favorites: For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:7) God didn't say, pray harder, take these drugs, do this, or that. He already has a plan, given me a hope and a future, and He has given me a sound mind! So how should depression and anxiety be approached? 

I don't discount prayer, counseling, and taking a serious look at your walk with the Lord, and sometimes (less than prescribed today) medication . However, I do suggest that you view what you're going through from a different angle. Remember, as I mentioned in my last blog post that we battle more than just the things we see with our eyes. Ephesians 6:12 says, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." If God gave us a sound mind, a hope, and a future, if fear doesn't come from the Lord, where does it all come from? Weather we realize it, want to admit it or not, we're under attack we're in spiritual warfare! The favorite place Satan loves to attack is our mind. If he can get us there, he has us! Every action, feeling, response, and reaction begins in the mind before it is carried out.  That's why the following two passages are important and worth mentioning again: "10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities,against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.."(Ephesians 6:10-17) "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" (2 Corinthians 5:10) That's how we're able to fight the battle!

Besides realizing we're in a spiritual battle know that,  "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." 
(1Corinthians 10:13) God allows temptation in our lives, He allows trials and battles to rage. I've learned that from each battle, I've grown. I'm starting to learn, when I'm overcome with some kind of anxiety over a new situation or even anxiety that comes upon me with no explanation at all, (like yesterday's all day ordeal) God is about to show me something or make a move in my life and Satan is using the distraction to keep me from seeing God working. The Devil doesn't have any new tricks, he's been using the same ole' ones since the beginning of time. Yet, no matter what Satan throws at us and God allows, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."(Romans 8:28) God uses ALL THINGS and all means all, to work together for His good! God may at least I believe in my life be using these trials that cause anxiety and depression in my life to draw me closer to Him allowing me to see my need for Him in my life, and to realize my limitations. When I realize how limited I am in what I can do myself or my way, it opens that door to communication. I seek Jesus and His ways and when that happens, eventually everything lines up. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."(Proverbs 3:5,6)

 So here's the key, it's not about how good you are, how well you pray, how great your faith is, or how thankful you are. God will increase all of that as YOU ALLOW HIM to work on and through you. Battling anxiety and depression isn't easy, but when you can view it for what it is, a spiritual battle that can be fought and won, it leaves you with the hope that you will overcome. 
You're not alone! We serve a God who is bigger than depression and bigger than anxiety. We just have to "HONESTLY" yield to HIM. Let go of the control you think you have, there may be areas in your life you're not willing to lay at the foot of the cross, yet that keeps you in bondage to your depression and anxiety, that doesn't have to be you. Your identity is in Christ, not your depression or anxiety! Reading those well meant verses, are helpful only if you can apply them to your life. 

Another huge key is knowing you can apply the verses to your life, as I mentioned in the previous blog post God's word was for the believers. Mark 4:11-12 states, "He told them, “The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables so that,“‘they may be ever seeing but never perceiving  and ever hearing but never understanding; otherwise they might turn and be forgiven!’” 
Be sure that you know, that you know, God is in control. "What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?"(Romans 8:31)

I'm not a doctor, I have no medical expertise, I'm not a preacher, it isn't my intent to cram religion down anyone's throat. I'm just have the desire to share my heart and my experience in hopes it may help or touch someone's heart.
~Deeds

No comments:

Post a Comment