Monday, September 28, 2015

Goin' up to the Spirit in the sky..That's where I'm gonna go when I die...

Goin' up to the Spirit in the sky..That's where I'm gonna go when I die...(Greenbaum 1969)

Why wait, in fact if you wait, are you sure that's where you're going to go? Why wait to go to Him, when He's willing and waiting to come to you? Jesus' earthly body may have left earth some 2000 years ago, but He didn't leave us alone. We can still hear from the Lord and experience his presence. 

As many know from my testimony in my first blog post, I had been saved, born again, accepted Christ as my Savior and Lord of my live, when I was 11 years old. However, not with out a lot of major pit falls, spiritual battles, and rededications. In all of that time did I ever hear the Lord speak? Well, yes... The funny thing about it though, I don't think at the time I always knew it was Him, and I've never heard Him speak in an audible voice. Although I've heard that some people have, could you imagine?!  I've technically been saved for 32 years, I'm still learning about how it all works. Like those layers of onions I mentioned Shrek speaking about, in my last blog post. 


What does it mean, to hear from God? How can earthly humans hear from a supernatural heavenly being? Does God still work that way? 


"And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words."(Romans 8:26 NLT)
The Holy Spirit knows what to pray even when we don't, so He obviously must be with us watching.

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;.” (John 14:16 KJV) 

In the Greek text, the word Comforter is Paracletos; meaning, One who comes along side. That one, that comforter, the one who comes along side, is the Holy Spirit! Often in church we ( especially those of us who grew up in churches who leaned more on the liturgical or fundamental side[nothing wrong with that though] ) hear about the Father, we know as God, the Son, we know as Jesus. However, the Spirit, although it is mentioned, it isn't really given any identity. We learn Jesus is in our hearts. And you just go on blind faith that many Christians muster up because the preacher says, the Bible said so. 

If that's all there is to experiencing the Spirit, then we're missing out! I've been missing out! But as long as I'm living God keeps revealing things to me. Not new things, the same things that have always been there, but are revealed in greater light! A light that allows us to see more of the Spirit and to allow the Spirit to see more of us. One of the common reoccurring themes in my life lately seem to be, "Shining light in the dark corners" just like the apostles who were given lights to shine in others lives, and gifts of the spirit to pass on, and we are to do the same. "As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give." (Matthew 10:7-8) We've received the Spirit and all that comes with receiving the Spirit. We are to give people the understanding, desire, and ability to do the same. (I am still getting ahold of this myself, it's new, exciting, and very different... But I'll go where He leads,)
None of this can be accomplished with out the Father God, the Son, Jesus, and the Spirit, comforter, one who walks beside us and who is in us if we allow Him to enter. 

Consider the following:

"The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit."
( 1 Corinthians 2:14)

Those who don't believe or understand the Bible, God's love letter to mankind and instructions for life never will with out the Spirit. All the Christians wanting to get so upset at the world and how they have turned against God and His Word, may want to consider the Spirit may have never resided in them, or they have turned from Him and are blinded. So how could they see the very truth that is in their face daily? It's up to those who accept the things that come from the Spirit to pray for those who don't and to walk our testimony out, to set an example. To be the light in our world that seems to grow darker.

Back to the shining light; our lights we carry in this world won't shine very bright if we aren't letting God's light, His spirit shine through us first. We must allow His light to touch every aspect of our lives, our heart, even the dark, scary, dirty, hidden places we don't think He'd ever see, want to see, or we're too ashamed to look at and let Him see. Yes, He already knows it's there, but if His light could just touch it, the darkness in us will leave! And as long as we allow Him access to all the dark corners of our life, the darkness, heaviness, anxiety, shame and fear we carry will vanish!! 
Job 12:22 says,"s the mighty.
22 He reveals the deep things of darkness  and brings utter darkness into the light."
And John 1:5, "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." Darkness can't exist in the light of the spirit!

Not that it's an easy task. If Satan can't have our souls, he'll do his best to influence and trick us into hiding that light and bring back all the things that were once hidden in the dark. We're in a spiritual battle. That is why it is important to remain close to the Holy Spirit. We're reminded of this in 
Ephesians 6:12, "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

As for the previous questions, What does it mean, to hear from God? How can earthly humans hear from a supernatural heavenly being? Does God still work that way? The Spirit we asked to come in and rule over our lives speaks to our spirit. It goes between us and the Father.  John 14:26 tells us how the spirit will bring things to our mind. "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."(KJV) But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.(NIV)
Our thoughts are not always our own. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. As the heaven is higher than the earth so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." 
( Isaiah 55:8-9)

That small still voice that tells us to go here or there, say or do this or that, isn't always our own. Keeping the spiritual battle in mind, we need to tune our ear to the things of God in order to prevent ourselves from just hearing what we want to hear or what is easy and sounds good at the time. His ways are higher than ours. The Spirit is very much alive, we can hear him and when we ask, we can feel his presence.

Another reoccurring theme in my life lately is,  "Can't control the river but you can flow with it. Flow with the river (spirit) burn with Jesus."  I may not be perfect and don't have the practice completely right, but I know who I serve and He teaches me daily when I'm willing to learn. Like that river that just keeps flowing, some times I am willing to jump right in, other times I swim for shore watch, and wait a while. Sometimes with one foot on the shore and others thinking I can control the flow. But we serve a patient God. His spirit will never throw us in the deep rushing waters with out keeping us safe. It's up to me to step out and go with the flow.

 I'm thankful He came to me instead of me waiting to die and hope to meet the spirit in the sky! When that day comes, it won't be the Spirit in the sky that believers will meet, it will be Jesus in the flesh! Now there's a thought.

Who are you listening to and allowing to influence your walk on this earth?


No comments:

Post a Comment