Saturday, September 26, 2015

Walking in the Light of His Presence


15 Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you,
    who walk in the light of your presence, Lord.
16 They rejoice in your name all day long;
    they celebrate your righteousness.

Psalm 89:15-16

I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
    With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Psalm 16:8

Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
2 Peter 1:2

The word acclaim in Psalm 89 means to praise enthusiastically and publicly. To rejoice is to feel or show great delight. As Christians, do we do that very often? I have to admit I haven't always been all that enthusiastic or full of joy while speaking on the things of the Lord. 

Oh, I'm thankful and give Him the praise and glory for my multiple blessings. I even tell others about the wonderful things the Lord has done in my life. But, am I lacking passion or fire while giving testimony of His love and faithfulness towards me?  There's no doubt I am thankful for His provisions, but is it enough to be just thankful? Am I crossing that fine line to being "lukewarm"? ("So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." Revelations 3:6)

While I'm doing my best at keeping my eyes on the Lord and reaching out to Him to keep from being shaken off my foundation, am I letting the distractions in life cause me to turn away and look somewhere else, allowing  me to loose my balance? 
I desire grace and peace and all the blessings Jesus wants to hand me.  They may be free, but if I am not continually seeking out knowledge of Him, and his presence, how can I receive what He has for me? Especially if I'm too distracted by all that is going on in the world.

God very much wants a relationship with us. That's why we were created. We're all created with a longing, a desire, a hole in our heart that only He can fill. Often we look to too many people and things to fill that hole to give us peace and contentment. If we would just realize, it isn't people and things that that will bring us peace and contentment, it's the presence of Lord. We need to always be seeking and inviting His presence into every aspect of our lives. 

When we live in His presence we will be able to be more aware of the things of God and less of the things of man. At the same time our attentiveness  to the needs of others and  our ability to love and encourage will grow. I believe we are to be in the world, but not necessarily par takers of ALL it has to offer. Through God's presence and peace, our out word behavior will enable us to not be shaken when problems arise and set an example to those still trying to fill that empty hole in their hearts. We never know who is watching us. People who are watching may be our children who need a godly example to follow when problems come. It may be a coworker or fellow church member suffering in their own private turmoil. There's watching us could very well be nonbelievers just waiting to see us slip up. When you live your life out in the presence of the Lord, people take notice.

When we completely follow this path set before us, to seek and invite His presence, get a glimpse of the hope and future HE has for our lives, shouldn't we get excited and rejoice when HE shows up? Even in public? 

No comments:

Post a Comment