Thursday, October 15, 2015

Be Prepared to Suffer for Me!

I opened my morning devotional this morning and read, "BE PREPARED TO SUFFER FOR ME." That is NOT what I wanted to read today!! I almost stopped there and closed the book. But God... He uses all things, right? So where was he going to take this? 
The accompanying scripture verses included James 1:2-4,"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds,because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." I really wanted to just roll my eyes at it. The following verses from Psalm 107:21-22 also accompanied this devotional I reluctantly read, "Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind. Let them sacrifice thank offerings and tell of his works with songs of joy.
Upon reading the last verses I have to admit, the Lord has done some pretty cool things in my life lately. However, when thinking of facing the "trials of many kinds"...  in the middle of the great blessings I've had over the past almost two years, I've also had some pretty big trials and the Lord pulled me right through it. Ya know what, though?  Often, it's the accumulation of small trials that trip me up; that get me headed into a downward spiral. Ya know, that day to day irritation, and first world issues like, " I hate my hair, it's too thin, can't do anything with it, I've gained too much weight, ugh, I'm so ugly, why even bother trying to make myself presentable today!" (Oh, I sound like such a girl!) Or even worse, "why can't I just get myself together, I have these things I have wanted to get done for some time, but just keep putting it off, now it's too late." "How or why would God want to use a person like me who is so not put together and polished?! I keep asking for more of Him in my life, but I'm not even worth it. Besides He'd just ask me to do things out of my comfort zone and that's too scary." All of the above quotes are a very small snapshot of what has run through my head on more than one occasion. Pretty shallow in comparison to serious trials people face. Yet, if I dwell on any one of these thoughts it will lead me to wallow around in my bad self image, lack of confidence, and value I set on myself, which can in turn feed into the underlying current of depression I've battled off and on since a young teen or pre-teen. I'm not saying that's all it takes to get me down, often I can and do shake off those silly attacks from Satan, but there are times when I'm not in the best place and can get thrown off balance.
Today in America from time to time the average person will face trials that we'll be pretty big to us, even life altering: financial hardships, family squabbles, a death, abuse, addictions, mental illness/spiritual attack, and many other types of trials. God can and will, like I mentioned in my last post, bring you through it, take it from you, or take you "home ." Knowing He will stay faithful to us and be with us every step of the way, we should be thankful. Don't give into the depression that often sneaks in with the trials, paralyses you, and keeps you from moving forward. Don't get tripped up in the daily irritations, bombardments, and thoughts Satan pushes you down with. 
While reflecting on the trials I face, the truly hard ones and the silly ones,  I realized I haven't really had to "suffer for the Lord". There were times I felt I was suffering, but it wasn't really for the Lord, it was for me. I was learning and growing during that time. I was maturing. God was using that time to mild me into who I am today. Although,  there are people today who truly are suffering for THE LORD!
 Recently the account of a Syrian mass murder of Christians told of how none of those tortured and murdered pleaded for their lives. In fact, it was said, "One of the women looked up and seemed to be almost smiling as she said, ‘Jesus!'” Isn't there joy behind most smiles? There definitely is suffering when someone is captured, lined up, and prepared for mass murder! Yet, there in that moment a woman counted it joy, in her suffering, she knew she was about to see the face of Christ. She was confident in whom she served. Christians, we need to be sure that we know whom we serve and have joy in knowing that when our trials are on earth are done, we'll be complete and see the face of Jesus! 
It is Jesus whom our hope and future rest in. He has a plan for us. Even if we're made to suffer through our circumstances caused by our own choices or by the actions of others He will use it all for His glory. "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28) All is all and it's important to keep in mind that trials will come and as our world continues to change, not always for the best, we need stay faithful to the one who has called us to consider it pure joy. We need to stay faithful in the life altering trials as well as first world issues.  When we do this Satan can't get a foothold and pull us down. It's too easy to give into the stress, anxiety, and depression caused by the trials of life. It is important to stay in the practice of holding on to that joy and looking to be content. 
When the trials of life come, how great would it be to truthfully say the words in Philippians 4;11," I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." ? Is your suffering for Him, or is it selfishly in vain for yourself? More than anything, I want every aspect of my life to reflect the Joy of the Lord, and be content in suffering for Him!

22 Let them sacrifice thank offering

No comments:

Post a Comment