Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Timing, Family, Christmas, 3 of 3

Christmas

I've really struggled with getting into the spirit of of Christmas this year. I began my shopping late in the season, like always, because I just don't like shopping. Before I stepped out the door I prayed that God would show me something cool, like Tim and I always do before starting out on an adventure. And He never fails to show up. There wasn't any one particular present I was in search of. Funds are low and I knew I just had to get creative. I Bought a couple things, nothing too exciting, maybe even a bit dumb. And with that, almost half my money was gone and My Amazing Man has nothing!

I began to feel overwhelmed, where's the cool stuff God was supposed to show me? I'm at a time in my life where I've never felt so blessed and want I to share it with others. I struggle with wanting to give something that will give joy to another person's heart, as much as my heart feels joy when I give. I can't afford to give to all the people I want to give to, and that's frustrating too. 

As I pondered more on the subject of giving and ranted a bit in FaceBook I thought about how it is a special time of year and I don't want to give gifts and have it forgotten about after the newness wears off. Sadly, that's how us humans are with gifts. Then, like a bomb dropping, the following thought came: the gift of salvation, that's what it's all about.(like I didn't already know that)   Now, I love to see someone excited about a gift they just received, it makes my heart happy. But it's just a thing, it won't last forever. Depending on how cool it is, the newness and excitement can fade fast and the point was null. 

My heart became a little heavier when the question came to mind, Do you think God feels like that? He gave HIS SON! How many accepted that gift with excitement and now the newness has worn off? How many have put the gift aside and never unwrapped it? 

People talk about this time of year being a time for giving, sharing, and caring, a time for families to get together, eat good food and pass out presents. Ya know, that makes it all about us. Celebrating us, our families, our good tidings. However, it should be more of a time to reflect on what God has done for us. Not necessarily what we gained, but what it took, the sacrifice, the timing, the love. When we look deeper into what we have, why we have it, then, we can better appreciate and share what we have received. 

As I said in part one of this post, God gave His Son to mankind at just the right time. There was no other time that would have been any more perfect. Same goes for all of His timing throughout our life. God isn't constrained by time but He works through it, for His glory, which often benefits us. 

God's gift of family as I talked about in part two of this post, is attached to the first gift of salvation. When we accept Jesus came to Earth as a baby, fully God, and Fully man, to set up His kingdom, and bring us salvation, we become part of a family, one greater than the one we're physically born into. We're sons and daughters of The King!  That is the greatest gift! The gift we should all share, and not just at Christmas time. When we share the gift of Christmas, the spirit of Christmas stays with us always. 
On a side note as I was doing some research about Christmas I came across this thought: We know Jesus was born in Bethlaham, to bring hope and salvation, to those who believe and accept Him as their savior, and Lord of their life. Bethlaham has two meanings, House of Bread and House of War. Interesting, I love finding little hidden gems like this. In John 6:35 Jesus calls himself the "bread of life". Jesus is the bread of life. He was born in the house of bread. Tell me God doesn't have a sense  of humor and may enjoy a play on words. However, those who don't accept Him will face the War, spiritually speaking, maybe even physically. My hope and future is in the Bread of Life, the reason we celebrate Christmas, the one who's family were adopted into, the one who isn't constrained by time but works through it for our benefit.  

God did show me something cool after all! He's always a God of surprises! 
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment